Page Links

Home      About      Reviews      Contact     

6 January 2016

Review: 'A Girl's Best Friend' by Lindsey Kelk (2015)

First Tess was a girl with a plan.

Then she was a girl with a dream.

Now she’s a girl who’s come back to earth with a bump.

When the opportunity arises to join her best friend, Amy, in New York for Christmas, Tess jumps at the chance. The only fly in ointment is that Nick, the man who broke her heart, lives there. And Charlie, the man she turned down, has just started talking to her again. And she has just four days to take a photo for a competition that could save her career.

But aside from that, everything is going to be great: it’ll be the best Christmas ever. Won’t it?

What better way to start the new year than with the latest novel written by one of the best chick lit authors out there? That’s exactly what I was thinking when I received a copy of Lindsey Kelk’s ‘A Girl’s Best Friend’ for Christmas and was looking for my first read of 2016. I’ve loved all of Lindsey’s novels so far and her ‘I Heart…’ series is one of the best chick lit book series out there, if you ask me. ‘A Girl’s Best Friend’ is the third part of the ‘About a Girl’ series and was published by Harper Collins on November 5th 2015. The previous parts ‘About a Girl’ (click here to read my review) and ‘What a Girl Wants’ (click here to read my review) were both fantastic reads, so I already had a feeling I would enjoy ‘A Girl’s Best Friend’ as well… A definite good read to start off the new year!

It seems like nothing in Tess' life is going right at the moment. After having a great time in fabulous places such as Hawaii and Milan, she's back in grey and rainy London, and all alone. So, when her best friend Amy tells her to book a ticket to come and see her in New York, Tess knows she has no other choice but to get on that plane to find some excitement in her life. Spending the festive season in the Big Apple is of course already quite special, but Tess soon manages to find other opportunities to make her time in the USA count and start working on her dream of becoming a photographer. But when she is suddenly given a great chance to prove just what she can do and the love of her life makes a surprise appearance, the stakes are suddenly pretty high and Tess realises this trip might be more life-changing than she originally expected it to be...

Another great romantic comedy read by Lindsey Kelk; I'm really starting to think this woman will never be able to disappoint me with her novels! 'A Girl's Best Friend' is another fantastic instalment of the 'Girl' series, with the same great characters, a captivating storyline, and Lindsey Kelk's funny distinctive writing style. Tess is a relatable heroine, trying to follow her dreams but meeting a lot of obstacles along the way. I can honestly say I've never come across a character like Amy, Tess' best friend, before, but she just cracks me up and the friendship between her and Tess is just great. 

All the other characters really make the story even better, such as Al and Kekipi, and I personally loved the fact that some familiar faces from the 'I Heart...' series made an appearance in this book. Because of this reason, I also think this novel is definitely the most fun to read if you're familiar with the author's other novels, especially the earlier parts of this series. However, the book can be read as a stand-alone as well, I just wouldn't recommend it. The book is promoted as a Christmas read, but I personally thought it wasn't that Christmassy, not as much as I had hoped it would be. Overall, though, 'A Girl's Best Friend' is another sparkling, fun and fresh read from brilliant chick lit author Lindsey Kelk; I loved it!
Rating:9,5/10
 
For more information about this book: Amazon.co.uk / Amazon.com / Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment